Dancing My Way To Fitness

Everyone knows the best way to exercise is to make it fun. And that's what I did today.

Hold on. Before I talk about that, let me tell you something.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you, regardless of who you are.

*picks up nearby saucepan of Nutella-covered oatmeal and takes a spoonful*

Here's the truth about me. I sit in my room all day with the computer before me, chatting with friends, surfing my social medias, listening to my nasheeds, adding on to my story, and a bunch of other things I can't even name right now because whatever I do on the computer, I don't even keep track of. And before I know it, the day is over.

There. That's the truth. I'm not productive at all.

My dad has been yelling at me to get off my bed and do something like exercising because staying on the bed all day is not healthy. He's right; it definitely isn't. I feel so empty after a day spent in my room. What I even do, I don't know myself.

Well, I decided to turn over a new leaf this morning. I woke up at about 9:17 am, surfed through the news on my iPad for about ten minutes, and then I got out of bed to make myself some oatmeal. I wasn't going to go with the typical brown sugar and frozen fruit theme today; instead, I simply added honey. And after the oatmeal was off the stove, I added some hazelnut spread.

I brought the oatmeal to my room, because my co-worker's little sister had messaged me asking if I could look at the story she was writing for school. I booted up my computer and opened up her document. It was barely a story yet, so I told her to keep writing. She wrote a little more, and then told me she was going to go do yoga.

After she left, I fixed up her document, and then I worked on drawing a portrait of my brother. I fixed up his troublesome chin, his warped nose, his feminine lips, and then I inserted shading where it was needed.

Then, bored, I decided I would heed my dad's words and start working out. First, I did twenty five jumping jacks, and then some weird lunge-stretches, and then some arm rotations. Then, I was struck by a great idea. Hey, if I listen to my songs while I work out, this would be even more fun! 

I was about to do so, when my sister suddenly came back from school. Embarrassed, I paused for a bit and did not continue until she left. I watched a cooking video and was halfway through when my sister finally left. I leapt to the floor, placed the iPad before me and stuck my earbuds in. I tried to do a plank for the entire duration of the video that was left, but I couldn't even go farther than ten seconds. So I did push-ups instead, until the video was over.

After that, I pulled up my playlist and put on one of the more upbeat songs. I tried to do pushups, my speed according to the rhythm of the song, but the song was faster than my pushups. Then I decided to make it easier on myself. I placed the iPad on my sister's bed because it's higher than mine, and then I played a slower song. I danced along, stressing any body part as much as I could, and making weird motions as if I were a waterbender.

Then, as the songs progressed, my dancing intensified. I jumped up and down, I bounced up and down on my toes, and I ran in place, which didn't really work because it made my earbuds come out.

On the last song, my friend texted me. I waited for the song to end, and then I replied to her. She wanted me to look at her story for creative writing class. I told her that first, I would shower, so I grabbed my towel and brought it to the bathroom, when I looked at my face and saw how horrible it looked. So I put on a honey-cinnamon face mask, which I was supposed to leave on for 15 minutes, and went back to my room, telling my friend that I decided instead to put on a face mask.

So I opened up her story document and edited as much as I could, until I remembered my face mask. I think I'd left it on for thirty minutes instead of fifteen. I quickly washed everything off and then hopped into the shower. After my shower, which took fifteen minutes, I clothed myself and then settled down at the computer to continue editing.

The editing took about 45 minutes to an hour (I didn't really keep track), even though it was a short story taking up nine pages. I finished about an hour ago, and then I decided to get up out of bed and do something because my butt hurt.

So I went to the kitchen, and then my mom told me to cook some chicken the same way I'd cooked it last night. So, I took the chicken, put it in a strainer and washed all the remaining ice off. I then added turmeric and chili powder, with a dash of salt and pepper, and then I massaged all the chicken together to distribute the spices.

Then I took the remaining oatmeal I'd left from the morning into my room, saucepan and all, with an addition of more hazelnut spread. I worked more on the story, and then went back to the kitchen to check on the chicken. I took off the aluminum foil and set the timer for ten more minutes.

Then I came back to write this post because I was done editing, and now I think before I have to leave to the masjid, I'm going to add on to my novel. Hasta la vista!

Before I go, I'm going to leave you with my chicken recipe. It's very simple and doesn't take too much time, and the end result is yummy :)

Ingredients
1 pack of defrosted chicken (boneless, thighs, leg quarters, anything)
Turmeric
Chili powder
Salt
Pepper
Oil
Materials
A long rectangular pan
Aluminum foil

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 405 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash the chicken in a strainer and allow all the water to drain out. Fill your pan with enough oil to cover the bottom.
2. With the chicken still in the strainer, season it with a dash of turmeric and chili powder, and finish it off with salt and pepper.
3. Massage the chicken together to distribute the flavorings.
4. Place each piece of chicken on the prepared pan. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
5. Place pan into preheated oven and let cook for fifteen minutes.
6. After fifteen minutes, remove the aluminum foil and let the chicken cook for ten more minutes.
7. After ten minutes, turn the oven on high broil mode and let chicken cook for about five minutes, and then turn off the oven. Let chicken cool, and then eat :)

Until next time! :)

Comments

Popular Posts