I Can't Think of a Rant

Lately I've been thinking a lot to myself, as introverts usually do, right? The conversations in their minds are always more meticulous and fluent than the ones that leave their mouths. Most of the silent conversations I have with myself are about useless things, like questioning why in children's books, the animal characters are named after their species. Franklin Turtle, for example. He is the only character with a normal name, while his friends, like Bear and Beaver, are named after their species. What about Bear's parents, or Beaver's siblings? What are they named? Bear and Beaver #2? Did the author ever think about that?

Just today I looked up Piggley Winks, because I still remember this theme song from all those years ago. I never watched the show, but I remember playing the computer games. I was curious and wondered if it was real because I don't actually remember watching the show. So I looked it up and found the theme song. And it brought back all the nostalgia lol. The song was more lit than I expected. Apparently, Piggley is a pig who wears a tan sweater and brown pants, and lives in Ireland. He has a little sister named Molly, and two friends named Ferny and Dannan.

Looking up Piggley Winks was one of the reasons I was curious about animal character naming. Why is Piggley named Piggley, while his sister has a completely normal name? Why couldn't he have been named Sean or something Irish like that? Do people ever think about this?

And has anyone ever wondered about Arthur? Making an anteater the main character is completely random. No one when asked to think of an animal ever thinks of an anteater. Unless you're Marc Brown, I guess. I watched Arthur in The Cliff Dweller hotel last week when I was on vacation. Binky Barnes, who's almost ten years old, developed an allergy to peanuts, which a doctor found out after examining a rash on Binky's arm. The rash only appeared after a butterfly landed on Binky's arm, but Binky wasn't allergic to butterflies. That's what makes me wonder. Why did Binky get the rash if he wasn't allergic to the butterfly?

Another thing which makes me wonder is, Binky likes to hang out with Molly and Ratter from the higher grades. What grade are they from? 6th grade? Something like that. So why does Binky hang out with them, yet he's in Arthur's 3rd grade class? Did he have to be demoted to the younger grades?

And another thing. Is Binky a bully or isn't he? In some episodes he's super mean, and other times, Arthur and the rest are friends with him. What's their friendship status?

Anyway, Binky's allergic to peanuts.

All the characters from Arthur are pretty interesting. They all have very unique personalities. Buster loves aliens, food, and traveling, and is funny without trying to be. Alan, or the Brain, is really smart and conducts his own experiments. Francine has a cat and likes to play the drums. Prunella likes fortune-telling. Fern loves writing. Muffy loves to talk about fashion and how rich she is. And Binky likes to play the clarinet. I'm not sure what Arthur's personality is narrowed down to, but I know he can play the piano.

Anyway, I miss 90's TV shows. Dragon Tales was a good one. I liked the character Wheezie, whose quiet and sensible twin was Zac. Remember the episode where Zac and Wheezie decided to split and have their own bodies? That was a cool episode.

Liberty's Kids was a great show too. I remember watching it in the mornings on the weekends. I always disliked the character Sarah. She was always complaining about not being able to see her parents, while James and Henri didn't even have parents themselves.

It's a Big Big World was also one of my favorites. Love the theme song. I remember watching it in the living room while S and H were outside, and Z was with me, crawling around. I was talking to S and H on a walkie-talkie, singing the theme song to them. Good times lol.

Cyberchase was also a great show. Watching it with my siblings, I used to dislike the character Jackie because she was sassy and melodramatic. But as I rewatch the show now in my late teen years, I realize Jackie is my favorite character. I relate to her on a spiritual level lol. She's my herooooo~ :)

And then there were weird shows like Teletubbies and Boohbahs. Does anyone remember Boohbahs? I'm not even sure what the show was about. Five colorful fat things with similar names. That's pretty much the gist.

Bob Ross was lit back then too. I miss that show.

Okay, why did I randomly decide to talk about children's TV shows? Sometimes I'm worried about where my mind goes. I'll shut up now.

Until next time! :)

Comments

  1. The reason he got an allergic reaction from the butterfly is because the butterfly in question was a particular type that had some kind of peanut substance in/on it.
    Furthermore, Binky is friends with the "older" kids because he's actually they're age, but I'm pretty sure he had to redo third grade which is why he is in Arthur's class.
    I'm pretty sure Molly and the others are just in fourth grade which is hilarious to think about now years later cuz they were actually such little kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts