3 Weeks Left of School

It's been quite a busy time for me.

I don't even really know what exactly to say.

I suppose I'll set free the thoughts that flow through my mind and into my fingers which type them.

Mmmm... let's start with a rant I had in mind recently. Specifically, last night.

Some girls say so passionately that they "hate" the color pink, their reasoning solely being that it pertains to anything and everything "girly." And I view this statement two ways, one being I take it seriously as a fact, and two being with a grain of salt. To put it more simply, when I hear people say they don't like the color pink, I believe them. We can possess a disliking to a certain color for no reason at all. That's okay. On the other hand, I take this statement skeptically. I attribute the passionate feelings to how pink is and has always been associated with females.

I feel that a liking for pink can exist within the "haters" but they just refuse to admit it because doing so might make them seem weak, or any other negative adjective associated with females.

If you zoom out, you realize pink is only a color, and there is no need to hate on it. It never did anything to you. As a matter of fact, the color pink represents sweetness, niceness, cuteness, and apparently universal love of oneself and others, according to color theory.

To be honest, even I at one point was influenced by the hate on pink and pretended for a while that my "new" favorite color was purple. However, as I learned, it isn't easy to pretend you like something that you really don't. So I thought, "Why conceal my feelings? Forget fitting in. I'll flaunt it. Tell everyone." And I hoped that following through with this thought process I could also boost the confidence of those who don't want to admit they like pink, to admit it.

Allowing oneself to be influenced by a majority's opinion is one of the worst mistakes a person can make.

Might I also add, every girl I've met who's declared she hates pink always ends up at some point wearing pink, having a pink accessory or bedroom, or other things of the like.

In a few instances, one girl has told me she "hates pink" because she's a "tomboy." I said nothing in response upon hearing this, but it riled me up within. I dislike the term "tomboy" with a passion. By definition, a tomboy is a girl who likes to do "boy things." But what ARE boy things? Boy things are only things that typically identify with boys, such as sports, the color blue, or cars. All three of those things are completely open to both genders. Both girls and boys can like sports. Both boys and girls can like the color blue. Both boys and girls can like cars. Similarly, boys can like "girl things." There are boys out there who like the color pink, unicorns, and wear nail polish. And if "tomboy" is a term used to describe a girl who acts like a boy, then what is a term for a boy who acts like a girl? Such a type of boy is usually called gay, a term used to describe someone's sexual orientation, which I think has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

You can be whatever you define to be a "tomboy" and still like pink.

I fluctuated between identifying as a girly girl or a tomboy before I realized it was ridiculous. I loved pink, doing my hair pretty, and dressing up. I also loved riding my bike, rollerblading, and sports. The reason I had trouble identifying with one was because I identified with both. Why bother now to identify with a single term? I am unique. I'm composed of so many things, it would be such a waste to identify with only one word that most likely wouldn't capture the full value of me. I'm just me.

Another reason I was riled up by the girl's words was that she has pink things in her room, and she's even called it "pretty" herself. Now I'd like to know what she means by hating pink when she literally called it pretty. But I guess you can hate a mean girl who you think is pretty, huh? Still, I would like to know what she meant by hating pink.

Alright, moving on from defending my favorite color... to life stories.

I did ZERO homework over the Thanksgiving break and I sort of regret it. I cancelled my tutoring for the whole week just because I felt like it. Tutoring usually takes a valuable hour out of my day. It's from 3:30 for an hour, usually, and I do my best to value my time, so in tutoring I really only want to get the work done. I don't want to use that time for hanging out, or talking, or doing anything other than teaching. (I tutor composition, btw.)

I prefer to keep the relationship between me and my student strictly to teacher and student. I want nothing more than that. I find that once I let my guard down and become too friendly with a student of mine, they start thinking they can do anything to me, say anything to me, and get away with it. Or they think we're on a friend basis and ask me to tell them everything about me. And it's okay to ask me questions, but if there's something I don't want to answer, best not push it. However, I do actually like some of my students enough to attempt to become friends with them. I'm not going to call anyone out.

What I also wanted to mention was that my tutoring takes place in the middle of the day, during a time where I always feel the sleepiest. The afternoon is the best naptime for me. So during my tutoring sessions I am the sleepiest, therefore possibly the grumpiest, making me not the right person to annoy at that time. But oh well. The more patient I remain during times my patience is tested, the better.

On Monday, I had class, so I went to it. We animated UFOs, and overall, it was fun.

On Wednesday, I went out to my school around 9 to have an advising appointment. I'm capable of online registration, but I had some questions that I'd rather ask about in person instead of emailing.

I checked in the advisory at 9:20ish and I asked to meet specifically with Ms Brown, who is a very nice and helpful advisor, and I recommend her to anyone who may need a good advisor to talk to if they are considering going to my school. After I asked at the desk to meet with Ms Brown, the lady at the desk told me that Ms Brown wouldn't come in until 10am, and I said it was fine and that I would be there until 12pm. Finally, I got into my appointment and I got myself registered. My appointment literally took 11 minutes. I left her office and later realized I had left my water bottle on her desk so I walked back there and asked to have it back.

After I left my appointment, I went downstairs to buy some gum. After purchasing the gum and a bag of fruity chewy candies, I took a walk around the lake, which took around 7 minutes. The walk was nice. It started out as quite cold in temperature, but the longer I stayed out, the warmer I got.

Later, close to 12:15 pm, I waited at the library for my mom to pick me up because she was supposed to bring me to the cinema so I could meet with my friends Hidzy and Zay to watch Fantastic Beasts 2: Crimes of Grindelwald. When I bought my ticket, the ticket man behind the counter told me to enjoy the movie, and I replied "You too," which I instantly regretted. Oops!

After that, we bought some movie food. Hidzy bought a giant Fanta slushie that she would share with me, and I bought a box of milk duds. Zay wasn't planning on buying anything but she popped up behind me and told me I should buy a pickle... because a pickle happened to be on the movie food menu. Odd.

The lady behind the counter was quite friendly. She called all 3 of us pretty. When she heard Zay she asked me, "You wanna pickle?"

"No," I replied with a laugh. I placed my milk duds on the counter to pay for them.

"So that's all for you? This and the pickle?" the lady asked.

"Nah, no pickle," I said, laughing. She laughed too and started tapping the cash register buttons. I gave her the exact change that the candy cost, which she appreciated. I told her I do my best at any time to give cashiers exact change so that they don't have to do math, and she told me I was wonderful for doing so. Then as we left to go see the movie, she said to us, "Y'all enjoy the movie, my name's Dee if you need anything!"

We watched the movie, ate candy, I fell asleep during some part until Hidzy woke me up.

After I came home, I played computer games with Z. When he left for karate class, I took a good nap for about an hour. And that pretty much sums up Wednesday.

It's 1 AM where I'm writing this and I am very sleepy. I do deserve a good night's sleep as I returned from my 4-hour night class about 3 hours ago. With that, I hope you've enjoyed today's post and I will proceed at another convenient time.

Until next time! :)

Comments

Popular Posts