Always Assume the Best in People... Unless...

... the person in question is your web design teacher, who is being an A and doesn't accept any proof that you did your freakin' homework PROPERLY, and her chosen uploading platform is stupid and uncommon of use for her students.

I'm not bad with computers. I know how they work. I know my html is working. I just can't explain why it doesn't show up on that link. But I can promise every single web page I made and meticulously wrote the html for works PROPERLY on my end. Fudge your stupid FileZilla upload station, Ms. B.

Hey, let's play a fun game and count how many times I yell the word "properly" in this post. Current count: 2

Now, let me explain to you guys as best I can what is happening so you can be mad at her with me.

*stretches out interlaced fingers and cracks knuckles*

I am registered in a web design course this fall. We cover html and css. (For now, we haven't gotten into CSS. Still in html.) The goal of the course is to learn how to create a web page using html. There are units covering certain aspects of a web page; for example, Unit A covered the basic components of a simple webpage, including <DOCTYPE html> tags, header 1, 2, 3, and so on tags, <em> tags, <br> tags, <section> tags, and others. Unit B covered making a second web page to accompany the home page, along with applying an email link and other hyperlinks. Unit C, which we are in right now, covers applying images to the html. And so on. That's the way the course is paced out. It's easy as fudging fudge. But I basically have a B or even a C so far. Why? Well well well, wouldn't you like to damn know.

My professor has us upload our .html assignments to a software called FileZilla. FileZilla basicaly looks like this.
Your computer's files are shown on the left side. The station in which you drag and drop your assignment to is on the right.

My professor also had us download a software called Brackets, in which we write the html. Brackets looks like this.
As you can see, that is one of the maaanyyyy htmls I wrote for my website. I know how to use it. Everything works.

Alright cool! So now that we know what is going on, unlike Ms. B (who's a B), let's get into the nitty gritty stuff.

It all started with Unit B. Well, technically it started with Unit A. I got 69 points out of 75 for my first assignment, even after I made the changes. She for some reason cannot see when I make changes. But I didn't try to shoot for the 75 because she said these exact words:
  • If you scored 60-74 points, you MAY correct and resubmit for a better grade, but are not required to do so.
So with a 69, I was fine.

Now, about Unit B. She could not see any of my other web pages that I linked on the home page. So when I went to check my grades and saw a 25/75, I was like, hell no, I did what you asked for, woman. So I confronted her in a very passive aggressive email...

Hi Ms. B,

I read your comment on eCampus concerning my grade on lab B. I just wanted to show you that my html followed all the criteria listed, and all my links work, even the email link and the hyperlink. I have renamed the document to your liking and included my lab A assignment into my lab B assignment. To show you that my lab B does indeed work, I have provided screenshots of each page of my web page. I have resubmitted my document, saved as index.html, to the FileZilla server. Thank you, Nura
[screen captures]

She replied as such...
Nura,
I just looked at your site on the server and nothing has changed. Index.html has no menu bar and no links. Index2.html has a menu bar, but none of the links work. If it is working on your computer, you need to make sure you upload the correct files to the server. Check it on the server before you resubmit it by going to http://patti-bee.dcccd.edu/imed1416/fahzy/ because that is what I am grading. I will clear out attempt 2 so you can resubmit when you get it corrected.

I replied with...
I see what you mean. I used the link to view my site, and errors show when I try to view the other pages. It's not a problem for me when I view my site from brackets itself. Let's try this. I've copied the html of my file and I'll paste it here so that you can copy and paste it into brackets or notepad++ or whatever you have on your computer so that you can try to see if it launches perfectly on your end. 
[entire html]

She replied with...
Nura,
That is not acceptable. You need to upload your files to the server. If you upload these same files to the server they should work fine. We will be continuing to work on these sites throughout the semester and adding more and more files. You need to learn how to upload your site so I can grade it on the server.

That's where it ended. I gave up tryna fix it. And turns out now anything I could have done back then wouldn't have made a difference because she can't view my Lab C either. Frick this teacher.

I literally had a cry session today because of this whole thing. It's sort of relevant to something that happened back in spring, but that's another story for another time.

I tried to send a group email to everybody in the course to ask them for help and to see if Ms. B was giving them trouble, too. But when I went to see who I would be sending the email to, it showed only two other students and myself.

Everyone else had dropped the class. The class had gone from 19 people to 3 people.

So it isn't just me.

I sent the email regardless.

Tomorrow I'm going to school and seeing if the lab assistants there can help me out. See, the thing about this online class is that it's not with the school I go to onsite. Our schools are in the same county, but they're different schools. Let's say the county is Area A. In Area A, my school at which I attend my onsite classes is College A. Another school within Area A is College B, which is where my online class is with.

So, yeah. That's the thing. I'm going to see if College A lab assistants can help me with my homework from my College B class. I really hope they can, because my classmates haven't responded to my email and I expect they won't.

So, you know, I hope you can understand my stressful situation now. Are you mad with me?

Until next time! :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts