Day 113 of 366

I see no reason to bother with an introduction. For the viewers' experience, I can understand why it might be necessary, but this is simply a blog, not a novel of any sort. Although, I do aspire to write novels for a living, which is why I'm here, funnily enough. I've been needing to come back to this blog for several reasons, mostly to exercise my writing muscles. I haven't been writing my actual book, and according to ChatGPT, one of the reasons for writer's block is perfectionism, which is definitely something getting in the way of my writing. 

I do use ChatGPT. It's a very helpful tool for asking specific questions that Google would deem a challenge. Although perhaps the answer is there, deeper into the search, but users won't typically look for their answers past the first few links. Of Google, according to recent news, everyone needs to collectively boycott Google for its recently fired employees. Look it up if you haven't heard about it. Don't use Google though. 

All deadpan jokes aside, I can't be entirely sure if ChatGPT is morally good either. Frankly, I'm afraid to ask it for information about the "war." Unfortunately, most of the world is pretty much controlled by the wrong people, so their ideas and beliefs make it to artificial intelligence. It is in such situations that we as users must use these platforms and resources as momentum against these people, for the right reasons. 

The book I'm writing has been through a lot of growth and revision. My original idea was to write about a character who loved music and had a great singing talent, but this was a struggle for her as a Muslim since music is prohibited in her religion. At this same time, she crosses paths with a boy from one grade up, for whom she develops feelings. Her school is having its first annual talent show, and she doesn't know what other talent to perform since it can't be singing. She discovers that the cute boy can play drums, but wants an original written song to perform, which brings light to her writing talent. The boy wavers between wanting to enter the show or not, feeling discouraged by the teasing and bullying from his older brothers, whom he has yet to set boundaries with. 

My goal with this story, which I titled "It's Your Voice," was to bring attention to the fact that only you as an individual can truly stand up for yourself, and to do that, you need to use your voice. 

I got carried away writing about all the drama in the story, from a best friend breakup to a house potluck. I realized, through coaching, that I didn't really have a plot or idea of how the story would end. My story idea was also eerily similar to High School Musical, which I watched with my coach and realized she was right. She encouraged me to scrap the idea as a whole and make the talent show a Quran competition instead, with a paid Umrah trip at stake. I thought this was a great idea, and I currently have the outline for that story all planned out in one of my many documents. However, I've decided that it's a story for the future. What of the book, then, you ask? Fear not, my book has not been reduced to a faraway future book. I have actually decided it will be the sequel. 

The new "It's Your Voice" will follow the events of October 7th from the perspective of the same character, a newly-turned 13-year-old girl named Haajar. She learns that the recent tragedy in Gaza has affected her teacher's family. Life turns upside down for everyone, and Haajar wants to do something about it. She spends days writing and rewriting a poem expressing how what's happening isn't right. But who would listen to a 13-year-old?

Several of my own personal experiences will be sprinkled throughout the story, which I'm very proud of. I did get to celebrate my birthday given that it was 6 days before things went down, but future plans with other people didn't really happen, with protests every week, and it just felt selfish to try and celebrate the continuation of my life when other people were mourning the loss of several lives. I quit my job at Starbucks for obvious reasons. And two of my friends broke up with me and went as far as blocking me on every damn account I had, but you already know that. (I've written about it in my previous post.) 

I suppose it helped a little to write about my story. I spent 80 min writing this post which is more than enough. I only pray to spend just as much time and effort in writing my story.


Until next time! :)

Comments

Popular Posts